Saturday, January 15, 2011

Surfin' in the USA

This morning we had a delicious breakfast at the Slager house with our host family, who are the nicest people in the world. Both taught in the Christian schools for over 40 years and are now retired and travel everywhere. Our first destination this morning was a set of channels full of boats and we had to navigate our tandem kayak through the channels, finding certain things. Scott and I did well, finishing fourth less than a minute behind first place. Being the heaviest team we felt like we moved pretty quickly, although we did get passed as we approached the finish (but they were more than 100 pounds lighter than us)

After our satisfying fourth place finish we took to Huntington Beach, where we would be surfing! Scott went first and got up a few times. I was really impressed with him (and even more so after I tried it myself). Actually, everyone in the group did pretty well.  I have to say that wetsuits are one of the top 10 inventions of all time. It made the ocean water bearable, which would have been freezing otherwise. My attempts at surfing involved a lot of salt water up my nose and in my mouth, but I did manage to get up onto my knees every time and got to my feet once (arguably twice).

We spent the rest of the afternoon laying on the beach exchanging stories with one another which was really enjoyable. As a group we are all getting pretty close and have gotten to know each other really well. After that we went to Ruby's which is on the pier, and we watched the sunset in the restaurant and it was so beautiful. After that we had a bit of time to shop, and I bought a crazy hat and some sunglasses which I really enjoy wearing. I'm sure pictures of that will surface soon.

Tomorrow we have church and then we will be racing in the hills of Hollywood, which sounds exhausting to me. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment